Thursday, May 9, 2013

Meet Horimono

So last night was game 2 of one of my friend's Marvel Heroic RPG. I spent the day before game putting the finishing touches on Horimono my super thief/super hero. (She's a bit of a klepto).

She is a shape-shifting mutant who found a horimono katana. She had to leave it behind, having almost been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. She remembered the design, it was the reason she wanted the blade. She had it tattooed onto her person and then weird stuff started to happen. It didn't take her long to realize that it was dark magic, from the beautifully named oni (demon). The only thing she knew about it was the name and that it was a hannya, her Japanese background told her that much. She buried herself in books of the occult trying to find answers to who this hannya was and how she could increase these powers. "The more powerful you are the more stuff you can take, y'know?" Here's what she looks like:
The snow white hair doesn't make it easy to blend in to the shadows, but she is all about flash. She does things with style and she likes shiny things. (One of her distinctions is Ooo Shiny). While she is better at working alone, she loves the team play. She gets an audience and potential tools to get her what she wants, purely selfish reasons. This is a character that I did a complete 180 from my World of Darkness Werewolf, Delilah, so it's a little jarring. I haven't quite figured out the game system either so I'm hoping once I get that down I can submerge myself into the character. Hopefully I can start coming up with more creative things instead of listening to the other players. I do have to admit, I was more comfortable with my Hunter character which required a lot of detective work, but that could also be because the World of Darkness system is easier than Marvel Heroic RPG, which is more story-based. You define your powers then you have to explain how you do it. I'm not much of a combat thinker, I've learned that from playing Delilah.

I don't know, I felt like I was holding the rest of the team back with my uncertainty. I haven't heard any complaints but that could just be people being nice. I think some more work on Horimono needs to be done before I can jump into this character's personality by next game. Maybe some short stories are in order, that is highly likely now that classes are over and I can start using my free time for game prep and fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment