Thursday, July 2, 2015

It's Fresh Blueberry Season!

So this past Saturday I made a trip to the farmer's market, I was a little late so I wandered from food stall to food stall. Turns out green tomatoes sell out really fast in this area. So I picked up some ripe red ones for a surprise dinner for my boyfriend after a long weekend of promoting his company's game. His flight was delayed but I didn't find out about that until after the tomatoes had roasted in the oven with garlic and butter.

The next day was an unexpected day off so I dedicated it to figuring out what to do with the 2 pints of blueberries I picked up. I discovered a recipe on allrecipes.com that seemed to be pretty polarizing. I read through it and thought, "I should give this a try."

The batter was very cake-like as the reviews had said, I added a cup extra of blue berries than was suggested.


Yay cookies! My roomie and I tested them. They were a little unexciting but interesting. Surely there was something that would save them. Lemon glaze? Honey glaze? Why not both?

That was exactly what they needed - added to the blueberry flavor and really helped take the cake/cookies to the next level.


So to those who might come across this and are having the problem of mouth-watering I need this in my life. Here are the recipes:

Cookies - Blueberry Cookies
INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheet.
2.Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3.In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine with sugar. Beat in eggs and lemon flavoring. Mix in milk and flour mixture alternately in three parts, starting with the milk. Gently mix in blueberries.
4.Drop batter by tablespoons onto prepared sheets 1 1/2 inches apart.
5.Bake 12 to 15 minutes.


Icing - Honey- Lemon Glaze
INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup Icing (confectioner's) sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice (just squeeze the lemon you made the zest from)

DIRECTIONS:
1.Combine all ingredients and mix well

That's it, that's all it takes. So get out there and enjoy with some nice sweet tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment